torsdag 11 juli 2019

The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren

The UnhoneymoonersAuthor: Christina Lauren
Title: The Unhoneymooners
Publisher: Gallery books
Published: 2019
Genre: Contemporary romance
Links: Book Depository / Bokus / Goodreads

So, the biggest question is, why am I not reading Christina Lauren books all the time? I've read four of them so far and with the exception of My Favorite Half-Night Stand (which I only liked), I loved them so much and had such a great time reading them. So why do I hesitate before I pick up the next one? Maybe I scared of it not being great, who knows. Anyway, we're all here for my awesome reactions to books I've read, so you're going to get one!

It's a really wacky idea, isn't it? Writing about two people who hate each other, going on a honeymoon because the entire wedding except them became vomiting wrecks. But it works. I read in a review that Olive and Ethan reminds them om Hazel and Josh. And I see the point, but I don't see the issue. I loved Hazel and Josh, so why wouldn't I want to read about such characterization again? I think authors are allowed to draw from their past characters now and again.

What did I like about this, then? As in any Christina Lauren books, the banter is my favorite. But I also loved the connection between Olive and Ethan. Even when they dislike each other, they're actually quite caring. This book is also unapologetically cute. I mean, it has a cute drunk Ethan scene and a really awkward bathroom scene. And the little comments he makes about her always looking nice and stuff. Need I say more? Nope, cuteness achieved.

If I have to pick something not to like, it's probably the ending. Ethan was being a complete asshole about a certain thing (this could have been handled differently and felt kind of like "Shit, we need a problem, let's just invent a reason and a totally weird reaction to it". Because we also don't really get an explanation for his strange protectiveness, do we? Seriously, do we? I have no idea) and the ending felt a bit... Unresolved.

Buuuut, I recommend this to anyone who loved contemporary romance and wants it quirky, cute with a sprinkle of banter.

4 of 5 non-buffet dinners

/ Denise

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Stranded - Part 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there will be swearing and, later in the story, explicit sexy times. Just so we're ...