tisdag 5 februari 2019

99 Percent Mine by Sally Thorne

Bildresultat för 99 percent mineAuthor: Sally Thorne
Title: 99 Percent Mine
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: William Morrow/HarperAudio
Links: Adlibris / Bokus / Goodreads

Well, well, well, Thorne, you've done it again. A cute, quirky, totally weird romance with unique characters.

I just finished listening to the audiobook of this gorgeous thing and I had to start writing a review immediately. I just loved Darcy, our main character. I loved that she had a trunk full of flaws and that Tom was the "perfect" guy. Darcy was the horny, messed-up, tough chick who could barely look at Tom without spontaneously combusting with desire. And Tom was, well.. Tom.

Okay, so what do I like about Sally Thorne's writing? Even though I didn't absolutely love The Hating Game, like everyone else, I thoroughly enjoyed it because of its quirky characters, the witty banter and, obviously, The Sexual Tension. And this book had it all, as well. Sure, it was a bit confusing at time - I would have liked a sort of background manual to read beforehand, to be able to keep up with the quips and angst. But also oh, so delicious.

Okay, what didn't I like with the story? Well, it's very character-driven, to say the least. We get the bare minimum of the background and none of the setting. But, also... I think that's because Darcy is that sort of person, when we meet her. She's self-absorbed and so stuck in her own head that it's hard for us to see outside of it. But really, it's a bit lazy - the author could have easily (?) gotten rid of some angsty thinking (yes, I love angst, but I don't like it being set on repeat, as I've said before, so just the right amount of angst for me, thank you) and added a bit more depth to the story.

Gosh, say what you thought about it, already! Okay, okay, I will. I'm saying that the characters could use with a bit more depth and the setting can be approved (I have no need of knowing the towns name or anything, because I would have zero idea where it is, anyway), but if you loved The Hating Game, I'm sure you'll love this one, as well.

Also, I think the ending is setting up for another love story. Just saying :P
And, recs for the audiobook read by Jayme Mattler - it's a great reading!

3,75/5 power drills.

/ Denise

2 kommentarer:

  1. I absolutely agree with what you said about the setting and background and this story being character driven... without knowing Sally Thorne was Australian I'd have had no idea where this book was happening. I mean...I assume it was set in Australia...? Still, the angst was top notch.

    *Congratulates self for finding the comment button in Swedish*
    *Experiences a moment of good old fashioned American self-loathing for not being bilingual like most of the word*

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yeay, you found the button! Now you can take over the world (maybe?).
      I had no idea where this was set, tbh. I usually don't mind, but I'd like some background, at least.

      (I didn't see your comment until today, because I'm apparently blind..)

      Radera

Stranded - Part 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there will be swearing and, later in the story, explicit sexy times. Just so we're ...