tisdag 16 juli 2019

Graphic novels from Netgalley

I though I'd do a collective post of a few graphic novels I've had the opportunity to read from Netgalley. Here they are:

Little Mama by Halim Mahmouidi.
Publication date: 10 September 2019

Little MamaThis one I felt right in the heart. With it's dark and sometimes telling artwork this book shows a little girl growing up in an abusive home, neglected and punished and still trying to look after her family. I read it in one sitting, with my heart in my throat most of the time. Most horrible was it to see how the social services apparently wouldn't or couldn't do anything to help the poor child and I think about all the children in the world, probably in my own city, never getting the help they need.

The story is told through flashbacks during Brenda's, Little mama, sessions with a psychologist. I think the way her maturing was portrayed was strong and moving.

Needless to say, this book made thoughts spin and I think it ended just as it should - openly and honestly. This isn't a book to read if you don't want anything intense and raw. There are explicit pictures of violence and child
 abuse that you should be aware of.  It's not only talked of.

A fantastic book, really!

The Avant-Guards by Carly Usdin & Noah Hayes
Publication date: 3 September 2019

The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1 (The Avant-Guards, #1-6)There’s really not much to say about this one except for I loved it. It has what I’m after in a graphic novel - interesting characters, great art work, a story I can get into and not to much text to have to read to be able to follow it. I think the story might move a little bit fast, though - there’s not many days that’s passing, right? Still, an easy read, lots of smiles, LGBTQ rep and a chance to learn some basketball.
The Tea Dragon Festival by Katie O'Neill
Publication date 17 September 2019
The Tea Dragon FestivalHow adorable is this? I haven't read The Tea Dragon Society, but I didn't feel like it mattered that much. The artwork is adorable and charming and the story is filled with all sorts of creatures and magic and everyday life. I adored this read. It's sweet with a touch of fierceness and a bunch of diversity, which I love! The story itself is easy to read and even though nothing much happens, it's still interesting to follow how the dragon fell asleep for 80 years and get to know the characters.The important part is community, friendship and love. And cute, awful pets in form of tea dragons! This is for the ones who're looking for charming artwork, a unique, magical world and a diverse set of characters.
Thank you Netgalley and all the publishers for letting me have the opportunity to read this! The thoughts here are entirely my own reactions to reading the books and I loved them all.

/ Denise

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Stranded - Part 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there will be swearing and, later in the story, explicit sexy times. Just so we're ...