måndag 24 juni 2019

Kingdom of Exiles by Maxym M. Martineau

Kingdom of Exiles (The Beast Charmer, #1)Author: Maxym M. Martineau
Title: Kingdom of Exiles
Series: The Beast Charmer #1
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal romance
Links: Book Depository / Bokus / Goodreads

I got the chance to read an ARC of this book and I finished it a while ago, but completely forgot to review it. Great of me, right? Well, I'm getting to it now, okay?

Kingdom of Exiles were all I hoped it would be. A completely new story, with new creatures and characters. I've read of animal mages and watched Pokémon, but the way Charmers work is for me unique. The guild of again risen assassins isn't something I read about every day, either.

In this book, there's a lot of descriptions of the environment, but the story also goes deep inside the characters' feelings and thoughts. Leena and Noc are two people with very different backgrounds of abuse and defeat, but still have a heart that longs for closeness and love. None of them trusts that longing, though.

The overall intrigue, of someone wanting to kill Leena, a Charmer who's been falsely accused of a hideous crime and exiled from her beloved home country and who's now selling her beasts to survive, is slowly weaving between the growing attraction and friendship between her and the assassins. I love a good story that focuses on the characters and Martineau is splendid at writing the different characters that grace us with their presence - I loved all the assassins and Leena and their personalities more than shone through. Noc is a total softie even if he tries to deny it and Leena is caring, thoughtful and kick-ass in all the right ways.

It's fun, it's sweet, it's dark, it's dangerous. And the sexual tension, which is there for a good reason even though it's a bit insta-lovey, lets us all sigh happily in frustration.

I loved this one.

4 of 5 charms

/ Denise

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Stranded - Part 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there will be swearing and, later in the story, explicit sexy times. Just so we're ...